Posted on December 17, 2012
A couple of the days ago I silently updated this site with a major redesign and I wanted to write a quick post about it.
Whenever I work on a redesign project I want to think of the reasons why everything is being redone instead of updating the elements that don’t work anymore. In this case, the main reason was that I hadn’t updated the design in 2 (two!) years and it was looking stale. The code was getting in the way and it was becoming harder and harder to make updates or bug fixes. The other reason was that I wanted my site to be mobile friendly which wasn’t the case with the previous version.
One thing I really wanted from this new site was flexibility to implement and ship updates quickly. Like with any other web product you’re never done improving it so I wanted the freedom to push updates as easily as possible. To help me with that goal, I decided to move from WordPress to Jekyll. I love WordPress and I use it on a daily basis for work and freelance projects. However, in this case, WordPress was a bit bloated for the job.
From a design perspective, I simplified a lot. The contact and about sections are now part of the homepage instead of pages on their own. I also list all my projects in one page rather than having a thumbnail page and then individual ones for each project. Finally, I made the blog as simple as possible. It’s designed for readability and, again, focusing on the content. I removed all sidebars, related content stuff and comments.
Overall, I moved to a simpler experience focused on the content for the reader and myself.
Go check out the rest of the site and let me know what you think on @gastonfig.